How to Make Your Running Shoes Last Longer?
In this post, I’m going to show you how to maintain your running shoes.
You’ll also see some valuable tactics to make your running gears last longer, such as sports T-shirt, sports shorts, sports bra and so on.
Let’s get started:
Running gear is very important for every runner. Because they can not only provide us with the corresponding protection but also can improve the performance of the movement to a certain extent.
However, no matter how much the runners like their sports T-shirts, shorts or running shoes, these sports equipment always have a certain life cycle. Some runners like to buy several pairs of running shoes and wear them at different times. Some runners prefer to wear a pair of running shoes until they can no longer wear them.
In fact, as long as you take some scientific maintenance measures, you can effectively extend the life cycle of these running equipment. Today, I will share the most frequently used sports equipment maintenance manual.
How should we take care of running shoes?
In theory, new running shoes are enough to support us for 800 kilometers or more. The exact number depends on a range of factors, such as our weight, the way we fall to the ground, and so on. However, if you neglect the maintenance of running shoes, or use the wrong way to clean running shoes, running shoes may be retired ahead of time.
Clean running shoes
Tools: old toothbrushes or soft brushes, cardboard, rags, decontamination detergents
- Don’t wash your running shoes too often. When the shoe is made, it will have an approximate loading volume, which is how you feel when you try it on. After you’ve run for a while, you’ll find that shoes become a little looser. This is because of the heat and moisture of your feet. However, once you wash your running shoes, you’ll find them tight again. Yes, it will be tighter after washing or exposure to the sun. So don’t wash your shoes too often.
- After dirt or colored imprinting appears on the surface of the running shoes, drop some water or detergent on a soft brush (ordinary decontamination cleaner), brush gently, and then rinse with clean water. It is important to note that due to the reflective material on the surface of the running shoes, or the eager process used in the production process, we cannot use hard brushes, let alone fingernails or sharpener tools.
- At the same time, ensure that the washing process should not exceed 20 minutes, and the temperature of the clean water should not exceed 45 ℃.
- After the shoes are washed, place the air dry in the cool and ventilated place, avoid direct sunlight and exposure to the sun, and avoid the use of heating or open fire drying, so as not to cause aging, glue opening, fading, and serious deformation.
- It is not recommended to use a dryer. Instead, Head down your running shoes to the wall and dried in a ventilated place at room temperature to prevent water from soaking into foaming materials on the middle soles.
- Insoles and laces can be directly washed with water after pulling out from the shoes, but it’s recommended that you buy a few more spare laces, since many running shoes laces are not that dirty-proof.
- In order to help the running shoes maintain their original shape, you can put a cardboard or other fillers in the shoes to hold them up when drying.
How to maintain your running shoes?
In addition to regular cleaning, many of our running habits can also have a significant impact on the longevity of running shoes. So these details, while seemingly trivial, are not sloppy.
Make sure you only wear running shoes while running.
Running shoes may be the most suitable for walking of all sneakers, but years of slight friction with the ground can still damage the soles. In addition, wearing running shoes for other sports, such as basketball, will not only affect the life of running shoes but also increase the risk of injury.
Wear/take off your shoes in the right way.
When we are in a hurry, we often shove our feet directly into our shoes. Over time, it will bring irreversible deformation to the uppers.
If you don’t wear running shoes for a long time, wash them clean and keep them in the shade to avoid mildew.
The abrasion degree of running shoes varies greatly between different roads. Running on the road is far more harmful to the running shoes than running on the forest path. Therefore, if conditions permit, try to run on a professional track such as a plastic track.
In addition, the following points need to be noted:
- If you have a plan to run every day, it’s best to prepare more than two pairs of running shoes.
- Put the running shoes in a ventilated place one day in advance so that the running shoes are completely dry.
- Professional athletes or runners who love to run should always wear the running shoes they buy because they also have an adjustment period.
- Although it has been told how to properly clean running shoes, in order to prolong the life of shoes, wash the running shoes as little as possible.
- Running shoes on nylon mesh cloth and artificial tanned leather is relatively easy to maintain, so can be hand-washed.
- Try not to wear them on rainy, snowy and sunburned tarmac roads. If you wear a pair of running shoes for two days, you should let them “rest”. Wearing the same pair of shoes for a long time will accelerate the aging and degumming of the shoes. A proper “rest” will not only restore the shoes to good condition and keep them dry but also, more importantly, relieve the stink of their feet.
What should you pay attention to in sports T-shirt maintenance?
- The key to the maintenance of sports T-shirts is to clean and replace them in a timely manner. If your T-shirt is made of high-tech fabric, the wisest choice is to throw it away before they are worn out, unless you have a load training or jungle training.
- one of the side effects of moisture absorption and moisture wicking function is that bacteria are extremely easy to grow on the fabric. So do not put a T-shirt you’ve worn in a sports bag or in a closet for more than one day — when you take it out, it smells really bad.
- If you can’t clean the sports T-shirt in time after training, make sure you hang it in a ventilated place and let it dry naturally.
- When washing your clothes, pay attention to the cleaning instructions. Some clothes are best air-dried in ventilated conditions, while others are best dried with a dryer.
- However, one of the most important things is not to use a clothing softener, which may contain a substance that’ll make the fabric lose its moisture absorption and wicking function.
- When washing sports T-shirt, you can add a little baking soda in the water, which can effectively remove the taste of the fabric itself. On the other hand, if the clothing still remains a special smell after washing, then maybe your sportswear itself is of bad quality and unfit to wear.
How to maintain sports shorts?
- Prepare a few pieces of different shorts and compressed pants, which can effectively extend the use of sports shorts.
- It is best to use cold water to wash sports shorts so that the damage to clothing will be reduced a lot. In addition, you should wash your clothes according to the instructions on the package. For lined shorts, make sure you don’t mix them with other clothes.
- As mentioned above, in addition to using no clothing softener, make sure that what you use is Residue-Free Laundry Detergent. I believe there should be a lot of cleaning agents for technical fabrics on the market.
How should sports Bra be maintained?
- Separate it from other clothes by using a netted laundry bag when washing
- Try to hang the sports bra in a ventilated place and let it dry naturally. Using a dryer may not hurt bra, but it will reduce its lifetime.
- prepare 3 pieces of the sports bra. one for use, one to be on standby, the other one remaining being washed. which ensures you to always have one at hand when needed.
- Most of the life of a Bra is between 6 and 12 months. So don’t replace a new bra until the skin has been damaged by abrasion or another discomfort comes out.
What do you need to pay attention to in sports socks or running socks maintenance?
The requirements for socks vary from person to person. Some people treat socks as mascots, and never throw away them, while others have a habit of being super extravagant: all socks are disposable.
I think socks should be treated with the same care as other technical fabrics. Don’t wait to replace a new sock until blisters appear, or foot friction gets stronger, or even the socks get broken.